As I drive between patients’ homes and witness the work of their caregivers, I’m amazed how sane they seem to be. I always ask them, “What is one thing you can advise other caregivers to do in order to stay sane?”
The most popular answers are:
“1. Get rest while you can.
2. Have someone who will control/screen the phone calls and visits.
3. Call the nurse even if you feel stupid about a question.
4. Don’t worry about the condition of the house.
5. Get used to eating casseroles.”
6. “People will give the darndest advice; don’t react, just laugh.”